Built with the yellowish-white bricks from the Yorkville Brickyards, the Yorkville Town Hall opened in 1860 on the site of the present day 18 Yorkville condominium building, and included a police station with a lockup. In the second floor Council Chamber, Yorkville politicians debated, among other things, “the running at large of Pigs and Swine and Poultry”, the planking of sidewalks and the “prevention of immoderate driving.” The Williams Omnibus company pastured their horses on lots behind the Town Hall. The building was destroyed by fire in 1941. All that remains is the carved stone coat-of-arms, now mounted on the Yorkville Fire Hall. The five symbols represent the occupations of the first councillors: brewer George Severn, brick maker Thomas Atkinson, carpenter Reeve James Dobson, blacksmith James Wallis, and butcher Peter Hutty.
Photo courtesy of torontoplaques.com